Use this with crab crème brulee, goat's cheese mousse and green salads, for a sweet and sour slightly hot bite.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 g caster sugar
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- Slice the cucumber as thinly as you can. A mandolin is perfect for this job.
- Salt, rest and rinse the cucumber as before.
- While the cucumber is resting, bring the sugar, vinegar and chilli sauce to the boil and reduce for 30 seconds.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Dry the cucumbers, place in a bowl and add the liquid.
- This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Any more and the cucumber looses its colour.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Lunch all Wrapped Up: Fresh Mackerel Wraps
- Pan Fried Monkfish, Creamy Brandade: Today show
- Bacon, onion, potato and sour cream tart/pizza