You won't want to share this with your guests!
- 4 large egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
- 110 g flaked almonds
- 225 ml cream lightly whipped
- 90 ml (6 level tbsp ) lemon curd
- pulp of 1 passion fruit
- icing sugar to dust
- passion fruit sauce to serve
- Line a large Swiss roll tray (13 x 9 ½ inches) with parchment paper ensuring that both the base and the sides are covered.
- Put the egg whites into a large, spotlessly clean, mixing bowl and beat rapidly until the mixture forms stiff peaks. You can use an electric hand whisk or a food processor for this process. When the mixture has formed the peaks add in the sugar gradually, whisking thoroughly between each addition. When the correct consistency is achieved the mixture should be glossy and stiff.
- To test if the correct consistency has been obtained turn the mixing bowl upside down. If the mixture does not come out of the bowl, it is correct. If it does – you must start again and wash the floor!!
- Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the flaked almonds. Bake at 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) for 20 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool in the tin.
- To Assemble the Roulade:
- Place a tea-towel on the worktop and place a large piece of parchment paper on the tea-towel. Turn the meringue out onto the parchment paper, facing the side with the almonds down and ensure that the meringue is completely cold.
- Spread the lemon curd over the meringue. Then spread the freshly whipped cream. Then roll the meringue in one fast action. Pipe some additional cream on the top. Transfer to a serving platter and dust with some icing sugar.
- Serve with a spoonful of passion fruit poured over the Roulade and some passion fruit sauce.
- Passion Fruit Sauce:
- Put a ½ cup of granulated sugar in a small pot and pour in a ½ cup of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Leave this syrup aside to cool. Empty the pulp from 4 passion fruit into a bowl and blitz with a hand held blender.
- Strain off the grit and pips. Do this thoroughly and you will be left with a bright yellow juice. Mix this juice with half of the cooled syrup to the passion fruit sauce. Use only a tablespoon of the sauce to dress a slice of the roulade and decorate the plate.
- Watch it disappear!
More by Peter Wyse:
- Baked Gratin of Hake with mature cheddar, mustard and cream
- Roasted Marinated Loin of Lamb in Indian Spices, Dhal, Chana Masala and Banana Raita.
- Pesce di Mare - Seafood Salad