A deliciously simple roast chicken, served with garlic cloves and crunchy bread.
- 1 nice free range chicken
- 2 or 3 heads of garlic
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Undo the garlic cloves, but don’t peel them. Heat the oven to 180°C. In a large heavy based casserole, heat the olive oil and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Throw in the garlic cloves, let them brown for a few minutes and then add about a glass and a half of water. Scrape all the sticky delicious bits from the surface of the pot. Add a little salt and cook in the oven for about 1 hour 15 or 30 minutes, according to the size of your bird.
- Serve with a crisp fresh salad and some toasted crunchy bread with extra olive oil. Crush the poached garlic cloves onto it and eat with the chicken.
Trish's tip: Do not serve this dish up to three days before an important meeting or date. Garlic is very good for your heart, but it also comes out though your pores
More by Trish Deseine:
- Black Pudding & Apple Tart: Trish Deseine, Today
- Recipe: Trish Deseine, Durrus Tartiflette, Today
- Moroccan Lamb