- 600 g pumpkin flesh (steamed or roasted)
- 120 g hard cheese - gabriel, cratloe hills or parmesan
- 2 medium egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- 120 g plain flour
- a little semolina or rice flour to coat
- 2 handfuls spinach (blanched and chopped)
- 120 g (4 1/4oz) chanterelles (cleaned)
- 2 small shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp brandy
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 150 ml double cream
- Mash the pumpkin carefully or pass it through a sieve.
- Add most of the flour and quickly work it in. If the dough feels like it's not too sticky to roll out, nick off a small piece, roll it into a ball and drop it into boiling water to test.
- If it floats to the top and holds its shape firmly don't add any more flour to the dough. If it breaks apart add a little more flour and test again.
- Cut the dough into three or four pieces and roll each into a long tubular shape, about the thickness of your finger, and cut off pieces 2cm (1 in) long.
- Roll each one into an oblong shape.
- As you go, keep the gnocchi on a tray, tossed in a little flour - semolina or rice flour are best as they won't be absorbed into the dough.
- Melt some butter in a large shallow pan, then add the chanterelles, shallots and garlic.
- Fry over a low to medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add the brandy and spices, bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 1 minute. Add the cream, bring back to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer for a further minute.
- At the same time, cook the gnocchi.
- Drop batches into a large saucepan of boiling water, taking care not to overcrowd the pan or the gnocchi will stick.
- The gnocchi are done when they float to the top.
- Remove the cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon and toss in a little of the cream sauce.
- Place some spinach on plates, spoon the mushrooms on top. Surround with some gnocchi and pour the cream sauce over.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say