- 6 brambly apples
- 145 g plain flour
- 100 g butter
- 55 g sugar
- 1 free range egg yolk
- for the ice cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 500 ml cream
- 4 free range egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC / Gas 4.
- To make the ice cream, split the vanilla pod in half and scoop the seeds into a pot along with the pod and the cream, bring everything to just under the boil.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick.
- Pour the hot cream over them, whisking all the time.
- Sieve this mixture back into the pot and cook on a low heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly.
- Leave to cook and churn in an ice cream machine until thick.
- To make the pastry, mix the flour, sugar and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the egg yolk to bind everything together and then wrap the pastry in Clingfilm.
- Place in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Roll the pastry on a floured surface and line each of the individual tartlet tins with the pastry, then put these back in the fridge for another 30 minutes to chill.
- Then remove from the fridge and place some baking paper on the pastry and fill with rice grains or dried beans.
- Bake ‘blind’ in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes until the pastry has a pale golden colour.
- Remove the paper and the baking beans and leave the pastries to cool.
- Peel and core the apples, and slice evenly.
- Place them in a pot with a teaspoon of water and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Then remove the apple and leave to cool.
- Fill each tartlet tin with the apple slices and sprinkle with sugar, bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve each tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say