- 1 kg pork ribs
- 4 crubeens (pickled in brine)
- 1200 ml water
- 300 g parsnips
- 300 g carrots
- 2 onions
- 700 g potatoes
- 50 g butter
- 50 ml milk
- 1 savoy cabbage
- salt and black pepper
- Place the pork ribs and the crubeens in a large pot.
- Peel and trim the parsnips, carrots and onions and chop roughly and add to the pot.
- Cover with cold water and bring everything to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Strain the meat and vegetables and place the liquid stock back in the pot and put over a medium heat.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the liquid has reduce by half.
- Then place the meat and vegetables back in the pot and keep warm.
- Peel the potatoes and chop roughly.
- Put in a pot of cold salted water and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, strain them and mash.
- Toss in the butter and milk and beat until smooth, season to taste.
- Shred the cabbage roughly and sauté in a frying pan with a tablespoon of butter.
- Cook over a medium heat for about 2 minutes until it has wilted and then season.
- Serve one crubeen and one pork rib with some of the boiled vegetables and potatoes and cabbage.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say