- 100 g butter (chopped and softened)
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk (beaten)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 225 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- You'll need a 5cm/2inch round, fluted pastry cutter and 2 lightly oiled baking trays.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and mix until the dough is firm and smooth.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently with your hands.
- Roll it out to a thickness of 0.5cm/a quarter inch and stamp out the biscuits with a 5cm/2 inch round, fluted pastry cutter.
- Knead together any trimmings and re-roll and stamp out more biscuits.
- Put them on 2 baking trays, lightly oiled. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are firm and pale golden.
- Cool them on a wire rack.