- 1 crisp red-skinned apple (unpeeled)
- lemon juice
- 175 g smoked cheese (very thinly sliced)
- 40 g toasted walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 2 tblsp snipped fresh chives
- 2 heads chicory
- 2-3 handfuls trimmed watercress
- walnut oil
- sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Core and thinly slice the apple.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Mix with the cheese, walnuts and chives.
- Cut the chicory in quarters lengthways and separate the leaves.
- Arrange around the edge of individual plates and scatter with the watercress.
- Top with the apple and cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with more lemon juice and drizzle with walnut oil.
- Add a little sea salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Serve at once.