A great tasting meal for four for under a tenner.
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- tsp dried thyme
- tsp sugar
- 200 g rocket
- olive oil
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 100 g butter
- 1 packet puff pastry
- To make the tart, finely slice the onions and cook on a low heat for 1 hour with butter and dried thyme.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut strips 2 – 3 inches in width.
- Spread the onions onto the pastry and cook at 180°C for 12 mins.
- When cooked allow to cool on a wire resting rack.
- For the tomatoes, cut each tomato into 5 slices and spread out on a baking tray. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, sugar and balsamic vinegar.
- Put the tomatoes in the oven at the lowest setting for 1 hour.
- When tomatoes are cooked place them carefully on top of the onion tart ready to be reheated for serving.
- Lightly dust the mackerel skin side with flour and season just before you fry the fillet in a hot pan.
- Cook for 11/2 – 2 mins either side.
- Reduce some balsamic in a small saucepan by half and allow to cool.
- To serve, put the tarts back in the oven to heat up, dress your rocket leaves with reduced balsamic vinegar and olive oil and a few twists of black pepper.
- Place each tart in the centre of each plate topped with fish and then rocket.
- Drizzle balsamic dressing around.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Crêpe Souffle with Chocolate & Cranberry
- Who are ya' Coddle-in'? St Patrick('s Day dins)
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote