Always a childhood favourite!
- 160 g (x4) cod fillets
- for the batter:
- 150 g plain flour (sifted)
- 10 g fresh yeast (crumbled or 1 teaspoon dried yeast)
- 250 ml beer
- 80 g potato (peeled and grated)
- 1 shallot (peeled and diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- for the chips:
- maris piper potatoes
- tartar sauce:
- 25 g gerkins
- 25 g capers
- 4 tblsp mayonnaise
- juice of ¼ of a lemon
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the batter:
- Mix 150g flour and the yeast together lightly in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the beer.
- Add the remaining better ingredients and mix well. Leave to ferment in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the deep fat fryer to 170°C. Toss the cod in seasoned flour. Tap off the excess flour and dip the cod in the batter. Remove the excess and cook in the deep fat fryer for 8-10 minutes.
- For the chips:
- Cut the potatoes in into strips. Blanch strips of potato for 2 minutes, then transfer to a preheated deep fat fryer at 170C and cook until golden brown. Shake with salt and malt vinegar
- For the tartar sauce:
- Pulverise the gerkins and capers in food processor. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice Season to taste.