Luxury cheese on toast!
- 2 slices fresh thick sliced white bread
- 250 g mount callan cheddar
- aged traditional modena balsamic vinegar
- Heat the grill to hot. Toast one side of the bread (very important). Turn the bread over, slice the cheese thickly, and cover the bread. Cook under the grill until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Drizzle with a few drops of vinegar and devour.
Even if a vinegar claims to be from Modena, it may be awful. Although very expensive, it’s the ‘traditional’ in the name which guarantees quality and authenticity. Look out for ‘Aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena’ and ‘Aceto balsamico tradizionale di Reggio Emilia’, the only labels protected by the Italian government. I hope I’m not committing some sort of cheese heresy by sticking my Mount Callan under the grill, but I love it molten. If you can’t bear to cook it, just set it on warm crusty bread. With a 25-year-old syrupy traditional balsamic, this makes a true luxury of cheese on toast.
More by Trish Deseine:
- Black Pudding & Apple Tart: Trish Deseine, Today
- Recipe: Trish Deseine, Durrus Tartiflette, Today
- Moroccan Lamb