A feast to serve with chickpeas with roasted peppers.
- 1 shoulder of lamb boned and flattened (approx 120g per person)
- 3 parts coriander, 1 part cumin
- 200 g natural yoghurt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 small chilli’s (deseeded and sliced)
- salt and pepper
- chickpeas with roasted peppers:
- 1 kg chick peas
- 1 l water to soak
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 2 green peppers
- olive oil
- bouquet garni
- Heat the cumin and coriander seeds in a frying pan. Once heated through blitz the seeds with a hand held liquidiser and pass the seeds through a sieve.
- The fine powder is what you are looking for. Rub the spice mixture all over lamb.
- In the centre of the lamb put some sliced garlic and the chilli. Roll it up and secure with some string.
- Rub the out side of the lamb with natural yoghurt.
- Place in a preheated oven at a high temperature, 190°C for 20-30 minutes.
- Richard places the lamb on a trivet of bones that have been in the oven already.
- Allow the meat to rest for 35 minutes in a warm oven while you finish off the chickpeas.
- Chickpeas with Roasted Peppers:
- Soak the chickpeas in 1l of water for 24 hours.
- In a sauce pan cook the chickpeas in boiling water for 2 hours, you will need to top up the water as it boils off.
- Halve the peppers, coat them in oil and grill them until the skin begins to blister. Then place them in a bowl cover with cling film and allow cool. Once cooled peel the skin away, roughly chop the peppers and cover with olive oil.
- When the chickpeas are cooked allow all the cooking liquid to evaporate.
- Add some of the spice mix used on the lamb and add the peppers and olive oil. Season to taste.
- To serve: Slice the meat and serve with the chickpeas.
More by Richard Corrigan:
- Butter Poached Smoked Haddock with a German Potato Salad
- Roasted Corn on the Cob
- Rump Burger with Foccacia Bread and Chunky Chips