A classic dessert that never falls out of favour!
- sweet pastry:
- 225 g plain flour
- 110 g unsalted butter
- 80 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5-6 large apples
- 50 g caster sugar
- vanilla cream:
- 250 ml cream
- 1 each vanilla pod
- icing sugar to taste
- Begin by making your pastry. Cut the butter into small cubes and work with it as quickly as possible from the fridge. Place the butter into a bowl and add the flour. Rub the flour and butter through your fingers until you have mixed it all through well, giving you a sandy texture. Now mix the egg and sugar, in a separate bowl with a whisk. Pour this into the flour and use a dull knife to mix together until it begins to form dough. Now use your hands and a little extra flour to knead the dough together. Cover the pastry well and place in the fridge for an hour.
- Now choose a large round plate to cook the tart in the oven. Grease the plate with the butter paper and dust with a little flour. Dust the counter with a little flour for rolling out the pastry. Cut the dough in half and keep one half in the fridge until you are ready for it. Roll the pastry enough to cover the plate.
- Now peel, core and slice the apples. Arrange them evenly over the pastry on the plate and sprinkle the sugar over the top. Take the remaining pastry from the fridge and roll as you did before and place over the top of the apples. Use a fork to prick a few holes in the top of the tart and then to pinch the edges together. Use a sharp knife to trim the edges of excess pastry. Brush the top of the tart with a little milk and egg mix, place in the fridge for about 20 minutes just to let the pastry rest, this will prevent it from shrinking in the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and place the tart in the centre for about 25 minutes or until the pastry turns golden brown. The tart is best served hot but do let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes so the juices don’t run out as soon as you cut it.
- For the cream simply whip the cream with a little icing sugar and the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- Serve a large slice of warm tart with a healthy dollop of cream, uummmmh, memories!
More by Richie Wilson:
- Barbequed Leg Of Lamb with Rosemary Marinade and Granny's Potatoes with Summer Salad
- Burger and Chips
- Hot Chocolate Fondant - Lemon And White Chocolate Mini Eggs In Orange Caramel Sauce