A magnificent starter to the meal of the year, this recipe for sweet potato soup by Garth McColgan is a true Christmas cracker.
- 1 kg sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed 4cm)
- 2 white onions (peeled and wedged into 6 pieces)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 25 g butter
- 30 ml olive oil
- 150 g potatoes (peeled and boiled)
- 150 ml cream
- 200 ml white wine
- 2.5 l water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Put sweet potatoes and onions on a roasting tray; season with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Add butter and olive oil and pop in oven for 20 mins/until potatoes are soft.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, cook ‘regular’ potatoes. When both are done, put into a mixing bowl; blend until smooth.
- In a large pan bring water, cream and wine to a boil; season with salt and pepper. Gradually add potato and onion mix, stirring until you reach desired thickness.
- Garnish: toast bread, remove crusts, cut each slice into 8 triangles. Top with a slice of Goat’s Cheese; grill until melted. Spoon soup into a bowl, sprinkle with chopped chives and bacon bits.
Created by FoodActive’s Garth McColgan for Aldi, this healthy and savory soup can be served hot or cold.
More by Garth McColgan:
- Latino Chilli Wraps with Guacamole
- Easter Cupcake Delights
- Irish Angus Burgers with Red Onion Marmalade