This meal which can also be made with beef is a great option for a New Yea's Eve party.
- 2 tbls og flour
- 2 tsp ground mace
- salt and pepper
- 3kg diced lamb or beef well trimmed
- 3 tbls of olive oil
- 3 large onions (chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4-5 sticks of celery (chopped)
- 1 tbls of wholegrain mustard
- glass of red wine
- glass of port
- 600 ml stock
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 tbls of fresh oregano or thyme, chopped
- 300 g (approx) of cranberries
- Mix the flour, mace and seasoning together. Toss the diced meat in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the meat in batches. Then transfer to a large flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the onions, garlic and celery to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes, then add mustard and wine. Bring to the boil and reduce for a few minutes. Pour the lot over the meat in the casserole. Add the port, stock, herbs and half the cranberries
- Cover and cook gently for approx 2 hours until the meat is tender, or cook in the oven at 180°C (375°F/Gas 4) for about the same time. 15 minutes before the end of cooking time add in the remaining cranberries.
- Check the seasoning before serving and garnish with sprigs of watercress and orange. Lovely with creamy mashed potatoes and crusty bread toasted and drizzled with olive oil and chopped herbs.
More by Bord Bia:
- Traditional Bacon and Cabbage with Mustard Sauce
- Risotto with Hake and Basil
- Haddock with Pasta and Broccoli