This meal which can also be made with beef is a great option for a New Yea's Eve party.
- 2 tbls og flour
- 2 tsp ground mace
- salt and pepper
- 3kg diced lamb or beef well trimmed
- 3 tbls of olive oil
- 3 large onions (chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4-5 sticks of celery (chopped)
- 1 tbls of wholegrain mustard
- glass of red wine
- glass of port
- 600 ml stock
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 tbls of fresh oregano or thyme, chopped
- 300 g (approx) of cranberries
- Mix the flour, mace and seasoning together. Toss the diced meat in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the meat in batches. Then transfer to a large flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the onions, garlic and celery to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes, then add mustard and wine. Bring to the boil and reduce for a few minutes. Pour the lot over the meat in the casserole. Add the port, stock, herbs and half the cranberries
- Cover and cook gently for approx 2 hours until the meat is tender, or cook in the oven at 180°C (375°F/Gas 4) for about the same time. 15 minutes before the end of cooking time add in the remaining cranberries.
- Check the seasoning before serving and garnish with sprigs of watercress and orange. Lovely with creamy mashed potatoes and crusty bread toasted and drizzled with olive oil and chopped herbs.