This is a quick and tasty way to prepare squid.
- 500 g squid
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp szechuan whole peppercorns
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 red chilli (thinly sliced)
- 4 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 40 g salad leaves
- for the salad dressing
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tblsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- salt and black pepper
- Prepare the squid by removing the head, the ink sac and the ‘quill’. Then cut into thick rings.
- Place a frying pan on a high heat and toss in the Szechuan peppercorns and dry-fry for 10-20 seconds, shaking the pan a couple of times.
- Remove from the heat when the peppers start to darken in colour and place them in a mortar along with the sea salt and use a pestle to crush everything coarsely (Alternatively, you can place the peppers between 2 sheets of Clingfilm and crush with the bottom of a heavy pot and then mix with the salt).
- Put the oil in a wok over a high heat until smoking, then toss in the squid rings.
- Stir-fry them for 1-2 minutes until they start to colour.
- Then sprinkle with the cracked peppercorns and salt, and continue to sitr-fry for another 20 seconds.
- Lastly stir in the sliced chillies and scallions and cook for another 20-30 seconds.
- Whisk the sesame oil, soy and sugar together and drizzle over the salad leaves.
- Place some dressed leaves on a serving dish and tip the squid, chilli and scallions on top.
- Serve immediately.