The caramelised vegetables make all the difference!
- 4 fresh fillets of brill (from your local fishmonger allow about 200gr of filet per person)
- large white onion cut into 4 slices about 1 cm thick (allow 1 slice per person)
- large courgette cut into 1 cm slices (allow 3 slices per person)
- large aubergine cut into 1 cm slices (allow 1 slice per person)
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and sliced in haf
- fresh beetroot cut into 1 cm slices (allow 1 slice per person) optional
- 25 g light brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- freshly chopped parsley/chives to garnish
- butter to cook
- orange and lime jus:
- 4 oranges (juice)
- 1 lime (juice)
- 50 ml water
- knob butter
- 6 tblsp fresh cream
- mixed salad for garnish as above
- Boil the potatoes in a small saucepan and keep warm.
- Gently simmer the onion, courgette, aubergine slices for about 2 mins in hot water (blanched) so they are not fully cooked.
- Place the orange/lime juice and water into a small pot and simmer until slightly thickened (10 mins) then add the cream and stir in. Add knob of butter and whisk in.
- Cook the brill fillets in a hot pan with butter for about 4 mins on each side (depending on thickness) and keep warm in the oven.
- Put the onion, courgette, aubergine slices onto the pan used to cook the Brill and add the brown sugar, turn up the heat until the slices are nicely browned on each side and the slices are nicely coated.
- On a heated plate add the mixed salad for garnish as above.
- Place the caramelised slices as follows, onion on bottom, aubergine next, beetroot and then the courgette on top in a circle. Place the cooked bill fillet on tp of this castle.
- Pour the hot js around this base and add the cooked potatoes.
- Garnish with either chopped parsley or chives and a slice of lime.