This dish can be made without the cream. It works just as well, it's just not as rich in taste and texture.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 500 g cooked spinach leaves (frozen spinach also suitable, same amount)
- 1 onion (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g tin of butter beans (or 350g of fresh cooked beans)
- 100 g feta cheese
- 200 ml fresh cream
- 100 g grated cheddar cheese
- 50 g bread crumbs
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Drain the spinach in a colander. Fry the onion gently in some olive oil along with the garlic until soft.
- Add the prepared spinach leaves. Mix well together and season well. Set aside.
- Peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Thinly slice into 1/2cm pieces. Rinse and drain the beans.
- Use a 9-inch oven dish at least 2 inches deep. Layer 1/2 the sliced butternut squash in the dish seasoning as you go.
- Place the spinach mix evenly over and crumble the feta cheese on top. Lay the butter beans on top of the spinach and feta.
- Lay the remaining sliced butternut squash on top seasoning as you go.
- Pour the cream over helping it to travel down through the layers.
- Cover with some tin foil and place on the top shelf of the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
- Place back into the oven for a further 15 minutes until the dish is golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to rest out of the oven for 5/10 minutes before serving.
- This dish can be made without the cream. Just omit the cream and follow the recipe as above. It works just as well it’s just not as rich in taste and texture.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Layered Spinach And Ricotta Crepes With Sauté Mush