If you want comfort... you've got it!
- 2 onions (peeled and diced)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 50 g butter
- sprigs thyme
- 500 g minced lamb or beef
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 tblsp ketchup
- 2 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 l beef or chicken stock
- 500 -600g potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 120 ml milk
- 150 g butter
- handful shredded cabbage
- pinch nutmeg
- for the roasted vegetables:
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 medium sized parsnips
- 2 tblsp honey
- tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Sauté the onions and carrots with the olive oil and butter, until just starting to colour.
- Add the thyme and beef. Turn up the heat and brown the beef. Add in remaining ingredients up until the stock (see above).
- Cook for 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced. Season and allow to cool down. Transfer to an oven-proof dish.
- Cook the potatoes and milk until tender. Mash with 100g of the butter and set aside. Sauté the shredded cabbage in the remaining butter for 3 minutes until just barely tender. Add to the potatoes.
- Top the meat mixture and spread the potatoes on top. Cook in an oven (190°C) until the topping is golden brown. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- For the Roasted Vegetables: Chop root vegetables into even-sized chunks. Toss in olive oil. Put into 180°C oven for 15 minutes. Remove, add honey, salt and pepper and put back in for 10 minutes. Place on top of the Shepherd's Pie.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Lunch all Wrapped Up: Fresh Mackerel Wraps
- Pan Fried Monkfish, Creamy Brandade: Today show
- Bacon, onion, potato and sour cream tart/pizza