Impress your guests with this tasty starter.
- 4 small circles of goats cheese.
- bunch of basil leaves
- 1 oz bread crumbs
- black pepper.
- filo pastry
- wild mushrooms
- knob of butter
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1/2 bulb of fresh fennel (discard outer part and finely chop)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- melted butter to brush pastry with
- fresh water cress
- 4 slices of mango (cubed)
- a few blueberries/ blackberries
- 4 strawberries
- splash of grand mariner
- Gently sweat onion, fennel seeds and the garlic in butter and set aside. Fry mushrooms on hot pan till water evaporates off. Add mushrooms to fennel mixture, add lemon and season to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Cut filo pastry into equal size squares, three per parcel. Brush each sheet with melted butter and then place next one on top at a different angle and repeat. Carefully place mixture into centre of filo pastry and gently bring up the sides to form a parcel, nipped at neck and fan out top.
- Brush with melted butter and pop in oven at 180°C, until golden brown. These can be made earlier and kept in fridge for couple of hours.
- Blitz bread crumbs and basil together, press on top of goats cheese and grill under moderate heat.
- Place fruit, tsp of caster sugar and grand mariner in pan, heat and then tip pan to flambé.
- Serve with fresh watercress dressed in a light lemon oil and serve all together warm.
More by Patricia George:
- Beef Medallion with Blue Cheese Leeks, Rosemary Mash and Port Sauce
- Terrine of Foie Gras
- Warm Apple Crumble