Make a delicious cheese charlotte to impress the family or visitors.
- 1 thick slice white bread (cut into cubes)
- 200 ml milk
- 8 slices of white bread (crusts removed)
- 40 g butter
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1.5 tblsp plain flour
- 225 g cheddar cheese (grated)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 125 ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas 4.)
- Put the bread cubes into a shallow dish and sprinkle over half of the milk.
- In another dish, spread out the bread slices and sprinkle them with the remaining milk.
- Leave the cubes and slices to soak.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with a wooden spoon and mix in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the soaked bread cubes, cheese, salt and nutmeg.
- Blend well and stir in the cream.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the egg whites with a whisk until they're stiff.
- Fold them into the cheese mixture with a metal spoon.
- Line a greased, straight-sided, flameproof dish or casserole with the soaked bread slices.
- Pour in the cheese mixture and bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Serve the Charlotte immediately.