The saffron rice compliments the spiced fish beautifully.
- 2 monkfish fillets (shaped in cling film, then cut into medallions)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom pods, (green are best, put 4 in mortar and crush to remove tiny black seeds, throw away shells)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- knob of butter and a tbsp of oil
- 1 inch of freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 6 large spring onions (cut diagonally)
- 1 inch slice of fresh pineapple cut into chunks (removing hard core)
- 1 large red sweet chilli pepper (very finely chopped into rings)
- 1 green chilli pepper (no seeds and finely chop)
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- handful of fresh mint leaves (roughly chopped)
- handful of fresh chives, chopped
- handful of fresh coriander leaves (keep stalks separate)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 lime
- saffron rice:
- 2 cup basmati rice rinsed
- pinch of saffron strands (soaked for 10 mins in 2 tbsp of hot water)
- toasted almonds
- 2 cup water
- pomegranate cooler:
- 1/2 pomegranate
- 1 cup natural yogurt
- 1/4 crushed garlic
- 1/4 hand of mint leaves
- Heat spices in the following order on a dry pan, continually moving so they don't burn. First the slightly larger coriander seeds for one min, then the cumin seeds and finally cardamom seeds (3 mins). Then grind the mix in motor and set aside.
- Sweat the garlic, ginger, green chilli, sweet chilli and spring onions in butter and oil for 4 mins (do not brown). Add coconut milk, then reintroduce the spices and gently bring to boil. (If you brown spices on the pan, they discolour the lovely green sauce)
- Stir in herbs the fresh herbs and add the pineapple. Gently add the monkfish and cover with lid. Reduce heat to low for about 5/10 minutes depending on the thickness of fish.
- Add rice to a serving bowl, place monkfish on plate and carefully add green sauce. Serve with Pomegranate Cooler.
- Saffron rice: Add Saffron water to cold water in your pan, add rice and mark an X in water, (do not over stir).Fit a tight lid and bring to boil, then let simmer for 8 mins. Turn off heat and cover rice with sheets of kitchen roll and replace lid, and let it sit. This means the rice steams for the last stage and results in lovely fluffy grains. Add almonds in just before serving.
- Pomegranate Cooler: Simply mix together, squeezing in juice of pomegranate, saving a few jewelled seeds for on top. Put in fridge until needed.
More by Patricia George:
- Beef Medallion with Blue Cheese Leeks, Rosemary Mash and Port Sauce
- Terrine of Foie Gras
- Warm Apple Crumble