Make a hearty, rich soup that will put a smile on the faces of all who taste it!.
- 1 large cauliflower (about 750g/1lb 10 oz)
- 50 g butter
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 leek (thinly sliced)
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 tblsp cream
- 75 g grated farmhouse cheddar cheese
- a pinch of nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Trim the cauliflower leaves and cut into florets.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan with a heavy-base, add the onion and leek then cover and cook gently over a low heat for 4 minutes, until the vegetables are soft (but not browned).
- Add the cauliflower and cook gently for a further 4 – 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes, until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Cool the soup for a while before putting it in the blender and whizzing it up until it is smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and bring back to the boil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cream and grated cheese.
- Whisk about 8 tablespoons of the soup into this mixture, then stir it back into the remainder of the soup.
- Heat gently once again – but do not let it boil.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and serve.