Try this beautifully trio of ingredients brought together for a classic risotto.
- 250 g frozen peas
- 1 packet of smoked bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 g grated parmesan
- 4 eggs
- 250 g arborio rice
- olive oil
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 125 ml mascarpone
- 1l chicken stock
- 20 g butter
- First thing to do is make the risotto base.
- To do this, finely dice the onion and gently fry in olive oil with the garlic. After about 2 minutes, when the onion is soft, add the rice and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutess.
- Then add some hot stock just enough to cover the rice and turn the heat to its lowest setting and cook slowly, adding more stock gradually until the rice is cooked.
- Fill a deep pot with water and bring to the boil, add the wine vinegar and stir gently in a circular motion, crack your eggs and pour them into the centre of the swirling water one by one and cook for about 2.5 minutes ensuring not to let the water boil too rapidly.
- When the eggs are cooked take them out of the boiling water and straight into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Store them in the fridge until ready to use.
- To finish, add the butter and the sliced bacon in a small pot and fry until golden brown.
- Add some of the remaining stock and the rice base and bring to the boil. Add some frozen peas and some parmesan and reduce the stock until it has nearly evaporated.
- Finely, finish the risotto with a good spoon of Mascarpone and top with a poached egg.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote
- Pan Fried Plaice with Peas, Horseradish and Smoked Bacon
- Apple Tart Fine with Chantilly Cream and Butterscotch