A hearty, warming supper.
- 4 large chicken breasts-diced
- 1 leek-thinly sliced
- 1 large onion
- 200 g forest mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic-crushed
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 400 ml milk
- for the topping:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry-ready rolled
- Heat a large shallow saucepan with the butter (and a little bit of oil to stop the butter from burning).
- Add in the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add in the leeks, garlic and mushrooms at this stage together with a little seasoning.
- After a further 5 minutes sprinkle in the flour and use this to dry up any liquids in the pot (and thicken the sauce).
- Pour in the white wine, cheese and the milk at this stage and allow the mixture to come to a gentle boil whilst stirring all the time. If you like you could add a little cream as well.
- Simmer for 5-6 minutes and then transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Neatly arrange the pastry on top.
- Brush the pastry lightly with a little egg wash glaze and bake in a preheated oven (190°C/375°F/Gas 5) for approximately 30 minutes.