A semifreddo - 'half cold' - dish is perfect to serve as a surprise treat for your guests! This particular dish is ideal for a dinner party or to serve to unexpected guests as you can prepare it in advance and take out of the freezer shortly before servin
- 3eggs, separated
- 150 g caster sugar
- 500 ml double or regular cream
- 200 g dark chocolate (finely chopped)
- 175 ml dark chocolate sauce to serve
- 900 g (2lb) loaf tin (24 x 11cm with 8cm sides)
- Line the base of the loaf tin with parchment paper or a double layer of cling film, leaving the excess hanging out over the edges. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
- In a second bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Finally in another bowl, whisk the egg whites (with a clean whisk) until they form firm peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture and then carefully fold in the egg whites.
- Sprinkle a third of the chopped chocolate evenly into the base of the prepared tin.
- Pour half the semifreddo mixture over the chocolate, followed by the next third of the chocolate. Finally pour over the remaining semifreddo and top with the remaining chocolate.
- Cover with the excess hanging parchment or cling film and freeze for at least six hours until solid.
- Once it is set, carefully remove the semifreddo from the tin, turning it upside down onto the plate, and remove the parchment or cling film. Cut into slices, using a warm knife if necessary and serve with a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- Semifreddo with Nuts: Substitute some of the weight of chocolate for roughly chopped nuts, such as pecan, almonds or hazelnuts.
- Citrus Semifreddo: Try adding the finely grated zest of 1 large orange to the semifreddo, adding it when the whipped cream is being folded into the egg yolk mixture.
- White Chocolate Semifreddo: Substitute the dark chocolate with a good-quality white chocolate and assemble the semifreddo in the same way.
- This recipe and many more are available in Rachel's new book, 'Rachel Allen: Home Cooking', published by Harper Collins on 1 October.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking