Make a tasty cheese and onion flan.
- oat pastry:
- 125 g wholemeal flour
- 125 g medium oatmeal
- pinch of salt
- 125 g butter or margarine
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 2 tblsp oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 250 g cheddar cheese (grated)
- salt and pepper
- To make the pastry, place the flour, oatmeal and salt in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add enough of the water to mix to a firm dough.
- Turn on to a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll out and use to line a 20cm/8 inch flan dish.
- Chill for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry gently until translucent.
- Mix the eggs and milk together, then stir in the cheese, onions, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into the flan case and bake in a preheated oven, 190°C (375°F/Gas 5), for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.