Make this tasty retro cheesy snack.
- 1 garlic clove
- 275 ml dry white wine or cider
- 225 g gruyere cheese
- 225 g emmenthal cheese, grated or use 450g vegetarian cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tblsp cornflour
- 1-2 tablespoons kirsch (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 1 large french loaf or crusty wholewheat loaf cut into bite-sized pieces and warmed in the oven.
- Cut the garlic in half and rub the cut surfaces over the inside of a medium-sized saucepan (or special fondue pan).
- Put the wine or cider and cheese into the saucepan and heat gently, stirring all the time until the cheese has melted.
- Mix the cornflour to a paste with the kirsch if you are using it, or use a drop more wine/cider; pour this paste into the cheese mixture, stirring all the time until you have a lovely creamy consistency.
- Occasionally, the cheese goes all lumpy and stringy at this point.
- Don't despair, if you beat it vigorously for a moment or two with a rotary whisk all will be well.
- Season the fondue then place the saucepan over the lighted burner and let everyone dip their bread into the delicious mixture.
- You can also try celery sticks or carrots. Enjoy!