A healthy, home-made cereal.
- 375 g jumbo oats
- 225 g porridge oats
- 100 g desiccated coconut
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 75 g sunflower seeds
- 75 g hazelnuts
- 65 ml sunflower oil
- 225 g honey (warmed until liquid)
- Chop hazelnuts coarsely in a food processor.
- Add to the other ingredients in a large bowl, and stir together.
- Pour over the oil and honey and, using your hands, rub them into the dry ingredients so that they are evenly distributed.
- The mixture should be free from lumps.
- Spread out in shallow baking tins and put in a low oven 225 – 250°F(120°C/Gas 5) to dry out for a couple of hours.
- It may be necessary to stir it from time to time while it is cooking.
- The granola is ready when it has turned a pale golden brown, and feels almost dry.
- Rub between the hands while it is still warm, to make it free-flowing, and store when completely cold in an airtight container.
- This cereal is delicious moistened with orange juice or milk and eaten with a chopped raw apple, or some stewed fruit (dried apricots or prunes) and yoghurt.