Make the soft spongey muffins.
- 275 g plain flour
- 2 tblsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 75 g caster sugar
- 175 g cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml corn oil
- 350 ml milk
- You'll need 6cm/2.5inch muffin tins or deep bun tins, lightly oiled.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas 6).
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl, add the cornmeal and mix well until blended.
- Whisk together the eggs, corn oil and milk, make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture.
- Quickly mix together to form a dough of soft dropping consistency.
- Be careful not to overmix the dough or the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, filling them no more than two-thirds full.
- If necessary, bake in batches.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen, golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from tins and leave on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with jam.