Fun tasty biscuits.
- basic biscuit mixture:
- 100 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 225 g plain flour
- 6 tblsp redcurrant jelly
- You'll need 2 large baking sheets, oiled, a small round cutter and a 5cm/2.25 inch plain round biscuit cutter.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4.)
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 5mm/one-eighth of an inch.
- Using the 5cm/2.25 inch biscuit cutter, cut out 36-40 circles and put them on the baking sheets, leaving enough space between them to allow for slight spreading during cooking.
- Re-roll, re-knead and cut the trimmings until you've obtained the required number.
- Make half the biscuits into faces by using the small cutter to cut eyes, then make slits to resemble mouths.
- Bake each batch for 15 minutes, or until golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and leave the biscuits to cool on the baking sheets for 1-2 minutes.
- Using a palette knife, transfer the cooled biscuits to a wire rack, to cool.
- Spread the uncut biscuits with a thin layer of jelly and top each one with a 'face.'