An easy recipe to make sushi rice.
- 625 g short grain rice
- 1 l water
- vinegar mixture:
- 5.5 tblsp rice vinegar
- 5 tblsp sugar
- 4 tsp salt
- Wash the rice under the tap until the water runs clear, then drain in a fine strainer for about 1 hour.
- Combine the vinegar mixture ingredients in a saucepan and cook very gently, stirring all the time until the sugar has dissolved.
- Take away from the heat and cool.
- Put the rice in a rice cooker or a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, and add the water.
- Cover tightly and heat to boiling.
- Boil over high heat for 2 minutes, then reduce heat.
- Cook gently over low heat for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and take off the lid.
- Spread a clean dish towel over the top of the saucepan, replace the lid loosely and leave to stand for about 15 minutes.
- Empty the cooked rice into a shallow wooden bowl or non-metallic bowl and run chopsticks through the rice to separate each grain while gradually adding the cold vinegar mixture.
- Add only enough to moisten the rice well without making it too wet.
- This rice is best not kept for more than one day in a cool place.