A tropical delight, with pineapple, banana and rum.
- 1 pineapple
- 3 bananas
- 50 g caster sugar
- 50 ml dark rum
- for the pina colada parfait
- 5 egg yolks (free range)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 tblsp plain yogurt
- 50 ml pineapple juice
- 100 g coconut cream
- 50 ml malibu
- 250 ml whipped cream
- First make the parfait.
- Beat the egg yolks and caster sugar over a pan of simmering water until they double in size and become pale and fluffy.
- Then gently fold in the yogurt, pineapple juice, coconut cream, Malibu and whipped cream.
- Place the mixture into a pyramid shaped mould and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- For the caramelized fruit, peel the pineapple and remove the ‘eyes’.
- Slice in half and remove the hard core at the centre.
- Slice the flesh into thick chunks.
- Then peel the bananas and cut into thick slices at an angle.
- For the caramel, heat half the sugar and half the rum in a frying pan and toss in the bananas and cook slowly over a medium heat until the sugar melts and coats the banana.
- In another pan cook the pineapples with the rest of the sugar and rum in the same way (use more sugar if required) and cook until golden and sticky.
- Place some pineapples and bananas on skewers and serve warm with the parfait.