Ireland's cooking legend, Darina Allen dishes up some mouth watering recipes.
- 2 duck legs
- very little oil
- 590 g medium sized onions (peeled and cut into quarters)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 250°C (475°F/Gas 9).
- Season the duck legs all over with crushed sea salt while you prepare the onions. Heat a tiny drop of oil in a heavy casserole, cook the duck skin side down on a medium heat until well browned, then turn and brown on the other side.
- Remove the duck legs to a plate, increase the heat and toss the quartered onions in the duck fat until slightly golden, pouring off some of the fat if there is an excessive amount.
- Sprinkle with a few thyme leaves, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, put the duck legs back in on top of the onions, cover and cook in the fully preheated oven for 1 hour approx. or until the duck is cooked through and the onions are soft and juicy. Check every now and then.
- Serve the duck legs on the bed of onions. Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme.
More by Darina Allen:
- Christmas Biscuits: Couldn't be easier/tastier!
- Christmas Tree Meringues: Delish & light
- Crunchy Orange Butter Scones