Make a special Ham this Christmas.
- whole ham on the bone (about 6lb)
- 5 dessertspoo (or 6) of homemade marmalade
- 175 g brown sugar
- 12 cloves
- Soak the ham first for up to an hour. Put into a pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for about 1 ½ hours and turn off the heat allowing the meat to cool in the cooking liquor.
- Remove the ham from the cooking liquor and score diamond shaped lines into the fat. Stud the cloves into the layer of fat and put onto a baking tray.
- Melt the marmalade gently. Pour the marmalade over, or brush unto the ham. Sprinkle with the Brown sugar.
- Loosely cover with tin foil and bake in the oven at 150°C for about an hour or perhaps a little more, depending largely on your oven.
- Take the tin foil off at this stage and turn up the heat for an additional 20 minutes until nice an crunch.
- Rest the meat for an additional 30 minutes out of the oven before slicing.
- Addtional Notes:
- You can use honey or mustard instead of the marmalade.
- If using a loin of bacon or a piece of centre ham without the bone you can reduce the original cooking time.
- If desired you can boil the ham the day before and roast it on Christmas day.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today
- Roasted Lamb Noisette, warmed tomato, pale ale
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon