- 6 granny smith apples
- 4 puff pastry discs
- 100 g sugar and 100 ml water (sugar syrup)
- 50 g sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- for the butterscotch:
- 100 g brown sugar
- 100 g cream
- 25 g butter
- Peel, core and roughly dice 2 apples and stew them in a small pot until soft. Peel and core the remaining apples and cut them in half. Finely slice each half around 2 – 3 mm thick.
- Bring the sugar and water for the syrup up to the boil and leave to cool.
- Spoon one spoonful of stewed apple into the centre of each of the pastry discs. Fan the sliced apples around until they form a circle and sprinkle with some ground cinnamon.
- Lightly brush with sugar syrup. Put the tarts in the oven at 200°C for 12 – 15 mins or until the pastry is cooked.
- For the butterscotch sauce melt the butter in a small pot, add the sugar and allow to turn to a dark caramel. When dark, whisk in the cream and boil for 2 – 3 mins.
- Lightly whip cream and add some sugar to taste. Serve each tart with cream on top and sauce on the side.