- 500 ml cream
- 350 ml melted milk chocolate
- 250 ml milk
- 2 vanilla pods
- 12 egg pods
- 12 egg yolks
- 200 g caster sugar
- For the classic crème brulee:
- Slit the vanilla pods, scrape out the vanilla seeds and mix with the cream.
- Then bring the milk, cream and empty vanilla pods to the boil in a large saucepan.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks and castor sugar in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until pale and creamy.
- When the cream mixture starts to boil, slowly pour onto the egg and sugar mix, stirring all the time.
- Transfer back into the large saucepan and continue cooking on a gentle heat until it coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pass through a sieve and discard the vanilla pods.
- Pre heat oven to 120°C (225°F) and once thickened remove from the stove
- Use 1 litre of mix to fill 6 X 7cm ramekins, before placing the filled ramekins into a deep oven proof dish, half filled with boiling water.
- Cook for 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly set. The custard is set when if tipped it comes away slightly from the edges of the ramekin. Cool until set.
- Top Tip: Use the remaining 400ml mix to make ice cream.