- 20/25 pitted black olives
- 4 anchovies
- 4 garlic cloves
- a good splash of olive oil
- Black olive tapenade is a typical Provencal appetiser, served on biscuits or crisp warm toast and served with a little aperitif - or perhaps taken with a glass of wine in your favourite bar or café
- Tapenade is traditionally made in a pestle and mortar, but if you don't have one, or if you fancy an easier method, doing it in a blender is just fine.
- First put your black olives into the blender.
- Cut your garlic roughly and throw it in.
- Next you add a good dash of olive oil, an anchovy and some capers.
- You will not need to add salt, because of the capers and the anchovy.
- Just give it a good whizz and there you are. It couldn't be simpler.
- After an aperitif of tapenade and a glass of rosé, a Mediterranean starter of green bean, anchovies and capers would be ideal.