a dangerously delicious desert that's sure to impress
- pastry cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 oz plain flour
- 1 oz caster sugar
- 6 floz whole milk
- 2 oranges (grated rinds of two and juice of one)
- 5 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- pinch of salt
- 2 oz caster sugar
- 8 oz 70% dark orange chocolate (grated)
- Pastry Cream Method
- Bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan and whisk all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Then pour in the hot milk and whisk.
- Put into a clean saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the mixture is very thick and starts to bubble.
- Pour into a bowl and place clingfilm on top to prevent a skin forming
- Souffle method
- Whisk the salt and egg whites together until they reach the soft peak stage. Add the sugar and continue whisking.
- Fold the egg whites into the warm pastry cream and then fold in the grated chocolate.
- Place into buttered and sugared ramekins and put onto a baking tray and put into the preheated oven at 170oC for 10 mins.
- Serve at once.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones