With Christmas fast approaching why not try a delicious and quick alternative to the traditional Christmas cake
- 12 oz butter (soft and at room temperature)
- 12 oz caster sugar
- 6 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 lb self raising flour
- 2 medium size oranges
- 2 medium size lemons
- 4 oz dried cherries
- 4 oz dried dates
- 4 oz dried figs
- 4 oz mixed peel
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Grate the rind from the oranges and lemons and squeeze the juice. Chop the dates and figs into small bite size pieces
- Soak the all the fruit overnight in the orange and lemon juice along with the rinds.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix in well.
- Sieve the flour and fold into the mixture. Add the fruit.
- Put the cake mixture into a prepared 10” square tin or 11” round. Cook for 1.5 hours at 160°C.
- Once cooked, leave in the tin until completely cold.
- This cake can be eaten straight away or kept for a week wrapped in greaseproof paper and tinfoil.