When you fancy something unusual.
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 180 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 200 g agave syrup
- 300 g cooked fresh beetroot
- 3 free range eggs
- 150 g sunflower margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- for the topping:
- 5 tblsp ricotta cheese
- 2 tblsp agave syrup
- 1 medium orange (grazted zest)
- 18 cm (7in) round or square cake tin (greased and floured.)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Place the cooked peeled beetroot into a food processor and blend.
- Add the eggs, agave syrup, margarine and vanilla. Blend.
- Place into a large bowl and stir in the dry mix until well combined.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Place on a wire wrack to cool thoroughly.
- Mix the ricotta cheese, agave syrup, and orange rind together.
- Spread generously over the top of the cake and serve.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Layered Spinach And Ricotta Crepes With Sauté Mush