A great dish for the end of the day.
- 2 onions (peeled and diced)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 50 g butter
- sprigs thyme
- 500 g minced lamb or beef
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 tblsp ketchup
- 2 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 l beef or chicken stock
- 250 g frozen peas
- 500 g (to 600) potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 120 ml milk
- 100 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- Sauté the onions and carrots with the olive oil and butter, until just staring to colour. Add the thyme and beef.
- Turn up the heat and brown the beef.
- Add in remaining ingredients up until the stock.
- Cook for 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced.
- Season and allow to cool down.
- Add the peas and then transfer to an oven-proof dish.
- Cook the potatoes until tender and milk with the remaining ingredients.
- Top the meat mixture and spread the potatoes on top.
- Cook in an oven (190°C) until the topping is golden brown.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
More by Domini Kemp:
- Rhubarb Clafoutis: Domini Kemp, Today show
- Fish Goujons the Domini Kemp way on Today
- Domini Kemp's Irish Stew