This tremendous fruit salad is a riot of tastes.
- 1 small pink grapefruit
- 1 small fresh mango
- 1 banana
- 1 pineapple
- 1 small punnet of blueberries
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 100 g light demerara sugar
- handful of fresh mint leaves: chop finely, reserve some small leaves for garnish
- Cut the vanilla pod in two lengthwise. Peel the ginger, then grate the whole piece finely. Grate the zest of both of the lime and the lemon and then squeeze out the juice.
- Heat roughly 25cl of cold water with all of the sugar in a small saucepan; add the split vanilla plus the grated ginger, lime and lemon. Bring to the boil then add the juice from the citrus fruits and leave to cook until a syrup is formed.
- Peel the grapefruit, segment it, removing all membrane and cut the segments into small cubes.
- Peel the pineapple and cut it into rounds.
- Prepare the mango by peeling it and slice its flesh into large cubes.
- Wash the blueberries under cold running water.
- Heat a grill pan and lightly grill the pineapple on both sides marking it attractively.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the grilled pineapple with the diced grapefruit, mango and blueberries. Stir in the chopped mint too.
- Douse liberally with the ginger syrup and remove the vanilla pod.
- Cover with cling-film and leave to marinate for at least 45 minutes until well-chilled.
- When ready to serve add the sliced banana and serve in individual bowls.