A taste to take you back.
- 6 oz butter (softened)
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ pint double cream
- 4 oz strawberry jam
- 1 oz icing sugar (optional)
- Whisk butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one by one, then add in the vanilla.
- Sieve the flour and fold into the mixture with a spoon.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases, and divide the mixture between them.
- Bake the cakes in a preheated oven at 185°C for 18 minutes.
- Once baked remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire tray. Take the fairy cakes from the muffin tray and when cold cut off the top.
- Whip the cream until thick, then spoon a little jam then cream on the cakes.
- Sprinkle the top with icing sugar, cut in half and stick into the cream.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones