Duck is something that people love to cook and often wonder how. For people who are having 'Christmas for Two' this year, this recipe would be ideal.
- 2 kg free range duck
- for the stuffing:
- 75 g fresh cranberries
- 2 tblsp port
- ½ medium sized onion (chopped finely)
- 150 g pumpkin (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 75 g butter
- 2 tblsp freshly chopped herbs (parsley, thyme, sage)
- 175 g sausage meat
- 300 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- for the hoisin glaze:
- 2 oranges (juice)
- 110 ml hoisin sauce
- 1 tblsp cider vinegar
- pinch crushed chilli flakes
- 1 inch root ginger (finely chopped)
- For the Duck and Stuffing:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Soak the cranberries in a little port for up to an hour.
- Gently fry onion, pumpkin and garlic mixture with the butter until soft but not coloured.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Add in the remainder of the ingredients and mix well. Season the stuffing.
- Line the cavity of the duck with parchment paper and fill with the flavoured stuffing.
- Place into a dry roasting tray and roast for 1¼ -1½ hours.
- For the Hoisin Glaze: Place all the ingredients into a large saucepan and allow to come to the boil.
- Reduce for 15-20 minutes on a low heat until the sauce has become a syrup-like consistency. Keep warm until you are ready to serve the duck.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Fragrant Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice
- Fish and Chips with Minted Peas: Kevin Dundon
- Fiery Fajitas with Salsa: Kevin Dundon