These tasty caramelised tomatoes work well as a starter or side dish.
- 8 (to 12) small flavoursome tomatoes
- 4 (to 5) tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tblsp sugar
- fleur de sel
- good balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oven to 120°C. Cut the tomatoes in half and place them snugly, pip side up, in a roasting tin or a gratin dish. Mix the sugar and the olive oil together and spread over the tomatoes. Use more if they don’t all get a good dousing.
- Pop in the oven and leave them for about 2 hours. Check on them from time to time, and spoon the cooking juices over the tomatoes as they mingle and caramelise.
- Before serving, drizzle a few drops of balsamic vinegar and sprinkle a little fleur de sel over each tomato.
- Trish's Tip: Now, if you are feeling adventurous, you could leave out the salt and serve this as dessert with some good vanilla ice cream. But it’s equally good in a salad for starters with some tangy goats’ cheese and thinly sliced ham. Or as an accompaniment to a roast fish such as bass,mackerel; snapper or tuna.
More by Trish Deseine:
- Recipe: Trish Deseine, Durrus Tartiflette, Today
- Moroccan Lamb
- Apple Compote with Crème Anglaise and Burned Butter Sauce