It's important not to over-mix the batter.
- baby asparagus
- red pepper
- spring onion
- yellow pepper
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tblsp baking powder
- sparkling water
- for the sour cream dip:
- 200 g sour cream
- 100 g lightly whipped cream
- 2 tblsp chopped chives
- drizzle of honey
- salt and pepper
- To make the tempura batter, place the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add just enough sparkling water to make a creamy batter – it's important not to over-mix.
- Combine all ingredients and season to taste.
- Lightly flour the vegetables, dip in batter and deep fry at 190C until crisp and light gold in colour.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Pancake Tuesday Countdown: Apple, pecan, ice-cream
- Countdown to Pancake Tuesday: Paul Flynn's P'Cakes
- Chicken, Chorizo, smoked paprika cream: Today Show