- 6 large waxy potatoes potatoes
- 500 ml double or single cream
- grating of nutmeg
- 100 g butter
- garlic to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- a grating of strong cheese to top the dish
- Trish's tip: The most important thing is to make sure the potatoes are sliced really finely, to give a sort of mille feuille effect, so that when you bite through them, they are completely in the cream and the garlic.
- Before you start layering them in a casserole or individual serving dishes, if you don't want a really overpowering taste of garlic, cut a clove in half and rub the inside of the dish for a subtle garlic taste.
- Start layering the potatoes and every two layers or so put a little salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Then, in goes the cream. I use double cream, but you don't have to. You can use full fat milk or a mixture of milk and cream.
- Finally a little bit of cheese on top and I like gruyère, but, really, it's just a matter of taste.
- Pop it in the oven with the lid on for 30 minutes or so and then take a look and if it's not brown enough, give it a minute or two under the grill.