- 900 g scrag end or middle neck of lamb (trimmed of most of the fat and cut into rings about 1.5cm/.75in thick)
- 450 g onions (peeled and sliced)
- 1125 g potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 2 carrots (scraped and sliced)
- ½ level teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tblsp chopped, fresh thyme
- 1 tblsp chopped, fresh parsley
- 425 ml chicken stock, or water
- butter (for greasing)
- Layer half the meat, onions, carrots and potatoes in the bottom of a flameproof casserole, seasoning each layer well with the salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with the potatoes.
- Pour over enough stock or water to cover the top layer.
- Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and cover with a piece of buttered greaseproof paper, or baking parchment.
- Put some foil over this and then a tightly fitting lid.
- Put in the oven and simmer gently for 1.5 – 2 hours.
- You can brown the cooked dish under the grill, if you like.
- A simple dish of red cabbage goes well with this or you could try my slightly more elaborate Red and Green Cabbage with Thyme and Pineapple Juice