An impressive visual twist on the traditional prawn cocktail starter and an ideal Christmas starter.
- for the prawn cocktail mix:
- 1 cup fresh cooked prawns
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 table spoons of ketchup
- 1 lemon juices
- 1 table spoon of chopped coriander
- salt and pepper
- 1 tea spoon of worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp brandy
- for the salad mix:
- 1 cup mixed salad leaves
- 1 cup sliced cooked beetroot
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cherry tomato for garnish
- ¼ lemon for garnish
- Prawn Cocktail:
- Using a large bowl make the marie rose sauce by adding the mayonnaise , ketchup, lemon juice chopped coriander, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle of brandy, mix well together and rest in the fridge .
- Once completely chilled add the cooked prawns and mix together until a nice salad is formed, season to taste and rest in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Add more lemon juice or salt and pepper is necessary
- Salad Mix: Using a plate, place the sliced lemon and beetroot on the plate and sprinkle with lemon juice ,
- Using a martini glass arrange the beetroot in a nice circle around the bottom of the glass, place the avocado on top making a nice fan, place the mixed salad leaves on top and sprinkle a little lemon juice and salt and pepper over the leaves.
- Finish by placing a large spoon of the prawn cocktail mix on top and decorate with the cherry tomato and lemon wedge .
- Tip: To make it very posh add a spoon of caviar on top.
More by Conrad Gallagher:
- Roasted Organic Salmon, with Salsify Purée, Braised Salsify with Balsamic Salsify Chips and Wilted
- Crabcakes with Kataifi pastry, basque style stew of peppers with rocket and shaved fennel
- Pan Seared Fillet of Turbot with Polenta and Fricassee of Field Mushrooms